If you put your nanny on furlough, you will be relieved to know the much anticipated HMRC online platform for Furlough Claims opened yesterday.
You can now claim online for a grant of 80% of your furloughed nanny's salary, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, plus any employer National Insurance and pension contributions. It was announced last week that this scheme will be opened until the end of June 2020, possibly longer.
We have previously published a comprehensive guide on whether nannies can work during the lock down, and when and how furlough leave can be used which you can access here . In this guide we'll walk you through all the details you need to claim a grant.
Your payroll administrator can handle the claim for you, however this is a relatively easy process should you wish to do it yourself - please refer to the following guidelines:
Before you make a claim:
- Familiarise yourself with the available guidance on GOV.UK before you apply;
- Gather all the information and the precise calculations you need before you start your application. You can find out more in the calculation guidance here where you can also access a claim calculator – this will allow you to check your claim for a nanny who is paid the same amount each pay period (it gets a little trickier for nannies whose salaries vary by pay period);
- Access additional help in this simple step-by-step guide.
After you’ve made a claim:
- Keep a note or a print-out of your claim reference number – you won’t receive a confirmation SMS or email;
- Retain all records and calculations for your claims, in case HMRC needs to contact you about them;
- Expect to receive the funds six working days after you apply, provided your claim matches records that HMRC hold for your PAYE scheme;
- To receive payment by 30 April, you will need to complete an application by 22 April;
- Ask your furloughed nanny not to contact HMRC directly – they will not be able to provide them with any information on individual claims.
To make a claim, you will need to be registered for PAYE online & Government Gateway user ID and password you got when you registered for PAYE online - you likely are if you manage nanny payroll online, otherwise you can easily register for it - and your employer PAYE scheme reference number.
You will also need your UK bank account number and sort code, nanny’s National Insurance number, the start date and end date of the claim, the full amount you’re claiming for including employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum pension contributions.
Should you need any further help, don't hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Tamarins are monkeys who parent in family groups – like a village – helping each other while children are small.
Are you ready to join our village?
Parents sign up here to begin your nanny search.
Nannies sign up here to find your next family. Alternatively, you can send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch!
myTamarin's top 5 back-to-school resources to help your child in the new termRead post